Table of Contents
Foreword by Brad Feld
Part 1: Understanding the Problem
Chapter 1: What Are Innovation Economy Jobs and Why Do We Want More of Them?
- What Is a Good Job?
- Why Are Innovation Economy Companies Creating the Most Good Jobs?
- Historical Forces That Have Shaped Job Creation
- Manufacturing Is No Longer the Best Job Creator
- Research Behind More Good Jobs
Chapter 2: If Your City Isn’t Growing, It’s Dying
- Warning: Not All Industries Feed a Virtuous Cycle
- The Agglomeration Effect
- What Makes a Successful Magnet City?
Chapter 3: Magnet Cities Breed Successful Entrepreneurs. Talent-Exporting Communities Impede Them.
- How Government Impedes Growth of Innovation Economy Entrepreneurs
- Public Money Going into Private Companies
- A Docile Populace Waits for Government to Lead
- Entrepreneurship Is Harder in Talent Exporting Cities
- How Visible Are the Entrepreneurs?
- Minority Entrepreneurs Are Especially Disadvantaged in Talent Exporting Cities
- It’s Time to Break the Cycle
Part 2: Creating a Magnet City Culture
Chapter 4: Creating a Community That Fosters Relationships
- Creative Collisions
- Referral by Trusted Source
- The Spark That Lit TriNet
- How Can We Increase Creative Collisions?
- How Can We Increase Referrals from Trusted Sources?
- Fostering the Right Culture Is Accomplished One Relationship at a Time
- Supporting Diversity Requires Proactive Effort and Applying a Different Lens
- Dealing with Skeptics
Chapter 5: The Magnet City Ethos
- Walking the Talk of Startup Communities
- How to Create a Culture
- The Road Ahead
Part 3: Key Partners
Chapter 6: Engaging Highly Influential People: How to Get VIPs to Help Jumpstart Your Community
- Why Get Highly Influential People on Board?
- Where Do I Find Highly Influential People?
- Expanding the Search for Highly Influential People
- Engaging HIPs from a Distance
- How to Get Highly Influential People Involved
- Highly Influential People Are Passionate about Helping
Chapter 7: Engaging Early-Stage Private Capital: How to Start Growing Pools of Private Capital for Startups
- Why Does Private Capital Matter?
- Why Do Innovation Companies Consume so Much Startup Capital?
- The Shortage of Seed Capital Investors in Talent-Exporting Cities
- Abundance of Seed Capital in Magnet Cities
- Getting Investors off the Sidelines and into the Game
- Setting Up a Seed Capital Fund
- Launching a Seed Fund Requires Committed Leadership
- Accelerator Programs
- Leveraging Accelerator Program Best Practices
- Can Virtual Accelerators Work?
- Gnarly Problems in Selecting Companies
- Professional Venture Capital Firms
Chapter 8: Engaging Higher Ed: How to Unlock Human Capital Siloed inside Universities
- The Absence of Experiential Learning in Higher Education
- Barriers to Connecting Students to Local Resources
- How to Work with Higher Ed in Your Community
- Helping Students Get More Creative Collisions
- Loosening the Tech Transfer Process
- Cornell eShip Best Practice Example of Engaging Entrepreneurial Alumni
- Right People Find Ways to Overcome Stifling University Bureaucracy
- Finding Doers with Passion for Innovation Economy
Chapter 9: Engaging Nonprofits and Social Enterprises: How to Find and Collaborate with Supportive Nonprofits
- Economic Development Organizations
- Philanthropic Support for Job Creation
- Social Enterprises Supporting Ecosystem Growth
- Developing Productive Nonprofit Relationships
- Which Organizations Should You Partner With?
- How to Interact with Nonprofits
Chapter 10: Engaging Government: How to Advocate for Job-Creating Policies and Resource Allocation
- Can Government Create Jobs?
- What Should Politicians and Government Agencies Do Instead?
- Public Policies That Would Help Startups
- Allocating Tax Dollars to Support Early-Stage Innovation Economy Companies
- Using the Power to Convene
- Applying More Good Jobs Principles in Advocating Policy and Government Action
- Voices from a Collective Have More Influence
Chapter 11: Are We Ready to Lead Change?
Is Helping to Create More Good Jobs Right for Me?
- Gathering Intel on the Local Startup Scene
- Intention Becomes Clear with Action
- Change Happens When Leaders Emerge
- What Are the Traits of a Great Leader?
- Playing the Long Game
Conclusion: The Reward Is the Journey